Joël and Ana are a typical Encompass client: budget & green conscious. With Encompass, it’s possible to be both and live in a beautiful, functional new space that doesn’t compromise aesthetics, quality, comfort or luxury.
Joël and Ana wanted extra finished space in their Vienna rambler in order to raise their family in the house and neighborhood they loved. It was very important to them to make environmentally-conscious choices, yet their budget constraints were realistic; they had a baby on the way.
Here is how they did it:
- Joël and Ana worked closely with our designer, Christina Simon, to communicate their family’s living requirements now and well into the future.
- Christina reconfigured and re-purposed the existing interior spaces so the resulting addition is much smaller than initially envisioned, and it is cantilevered so it required less soil disturbance.
- The addition maximizes natural light with use of interior glass panels to allow light to flow through while maintaining a clean, contemporary look and privacy.
Encompass suggested the following products that are green for the same cost:
- Water-saver faucets and dual flush toilets
- Silestone countertops – GREENGUARD Indoor Air Quality Certified
- Fluorescent lighting in bathrooms and closets
- Energy Star™ Dishwasher
- The recessed lighting in their lower level was removed, saved and re-installed.
- Low VOC carpet in the basement-Indoor Air Quality Certified
Indoor air quality is one of Joël and Ana’s areas of concern, so we encouraged them to budget a little extra money for Low-VOC paint, stain, carpet and drywall glue.
Joël and Ana had their baby while their remodel was underway. Because of their eco-friendly product selections, they don’t worry about air quality with a new baby in the house. And their energy-saving product choices will lower their energy bills despite their home being slightly larger. They enjoy the comfort of their new space and the peace of mind in knowing they won’t have to move or remodel again.