Case Study: Total Home Renewal
Project Scope and Retail Price
- Transformed a small, dated, split-level house into a spacious Craftsman-style home.
- Added space and removed walls on main level to create open floor plan. Columns, open-bar seating area and architectural accents define the kitchen, dining and living areas.
- Created upper-level master suite, guest room and laundry, sitting area at stair landing.
- Completed Craftsman look with new oak front door and sidelights, wraparound front porch with Brazilian hardwood decking, dimensional-shingle roof, stone facing and James Hardie siding.
- Added 1,100 square-feet of new living area; renovated majority of original space.
- Retail price: $376,894
Project Challenges and Creative Solutions
Disguise dated split-level appearance. Avoid box-on-box look of new addition.
Multi-level roof design with new gables and shed dormers. Various exterior trim elements and siding styles break up expanse of new components.
Give appearance of new, large space on main level while reusing existing space and adding relatively little new square footage.
Moved dining room into expanded space on side yard. Removed walls and opened kitchen into LR with corner countertop and suspended cabinets. Added cathedral ceilings by removing trusses above existing main level and extending existing walls.
Create suspended upper cabinet space without a wall to which we could mount the cabinets.
Engineered a creative custom mounting system concealed in the ceiling.
Create a bigger floor plan on upper level relative to the small main level directly below. Avoid unattractive, disproportional overhangs.
Built upper level into the front porch roof ceiling.
Reconfigure existing systems (HVAC, Electrical, Plumbing) in original split-level design which leaves few options for adding chases to accommodate new systems.
Utilized storage trusses above new space for new HVAC equipment and a new zone for the master suite and guest room.
Accommodate multi-level living with regard to the laundry.
New laundry closet was added to upper level.
Overall Project Results
The final outcome was complete elimination of the split-level look of this home, achieving the #1 requirement of the homeowner.
- Vaulted ceilings on middle level give feel of a newly-built home rather than renovated space.
- Common living area on main level is open and conducive to busy family life.
- Addition of 2 large bedrooms and master suite make home perfect size for family of four.
- Home blends well in style and size with other homes on the street.